Why Audley Family History?

 

We ensure that all our data is checked and correct, this is a hobby to the owners of the site and therefore taking our time and getting it right is what we are known for.

Audley Places in New Hampshire USA

The following advert for 'R S Audley Incorporated'  a General Construction & Contracting company was photographed in New Hampshire USA where the company is based.

photoofwagon2

dlu20200413

Audley Places in Arizona USA

Audley, Yavapal, County, Arizona USA

 

 On the Smith Map of 1879 the place was called Audrey

On the General Land Office Map of  1921 and and the United Stated Geological Survey map of 1923 the place was called Audley

  Station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad 11 miles west of Sigliman, at the head of the Aubrey valley and Should have been spelt that way, after Francoise Xavier Aubrey. According to A G Wells the President of the Santa Fe Railroad " It was originally Aubrey, but there was another station on the Santa Fe by this name of much earlier use, so it was changed to Audley
 

The above has been taken from "Arizona Place Names" by Will C Barnes

This document  refers to the place as Audley

  The following two maps show the location of Audley in Yavapal County, Arizona, close to 'the historic Route 66
  Map31
  In the map below the locator shows the location of Audley
  map41
   

dlu20200413

Audley Places in Wiltshire

 In Wiltshire there are the following places associated with the Audley surname;

    •        Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
    •        Audley House, Salisbury
    •        Sir Audley Arms, Chippenham
  Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
   AudleyChapelfromchoir
  Edmund Audley became Bishop of Salisbury in 1502. He built Audley Chapel within Salisbury Cathedral and lived in Audley House (see below)
  Salisbury5   Salisbury2
   Inside the Audley Chapel    Ceiling of the Audley Chapel
  Salisbury3   Salisburyshield1
    The Ceiling Bosses in Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
   Salisburyshield2
     Coat of Arms on Alter Cloth
  Audley Chapel was built (perpendicular style and of Bath Limestone, possibly Haslebury) by Bishop Audley (1502-24) as his chantry and was built in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Refurnished as memorial to Bishop Lovett 1936-46. Frieze with shields bearing Audley’s arms and those of diocese. Niches formerly contained effigies removed during Reformation. Inside two bosses displaying his arms, eastern one surrounded by roses and pomegragnates symbolising Henry V111 marriage to Catherine of Aragon. Her symbol was ordered to be excised everywhere after their divorce, but this one couldn’t be – or was overlooked. On east wall mutilated carving of Assumption (chapel was damaged during Reformation) is now covered by painting of Virgin and Child. Altar frontal shows Audley’s initials (EA) and design of Tudor roses and pomegranates with arms of diocese. Altar cushion bears intitials of Edmund of Sarum. Kneeler has dragon based on carving on cornice outside. These are all the work of the Sarum Group of Embroiderers and were done in 1980. Bishop Audley’s tomb is on the south side of the chantry, set into the wall.
‘Externally the chapel is richly decorated with Audley’s initials and his heraldry, together with HIS and Maria monograms. The chapel was brightly coloured externally and internally, making it a conspicuous target for Reformation iconoclasts’. (from Sumptuous and Richly Adorned by Sarah Brown)
     Audley House, Salisbury
     Salisbury6.jpg
     Sir Audley Arms, Audley Road, Chippenham (photos taken in 2019)
 

Chippenham3

 

  Chippenham1  

Chippenham2

The date of 1937 is the date the public house was built and the ‘Coat of Arms’ is that of the brewery that built the inn; namely ‘Ushers of Trowbridge’

 

The book ‘Chippenham Street Names’ by Chris Dallimore states ‘Audley Road along with Dallas Road and Neeld Crescent are named in honour of Sir Audley Dallas Neeld  (1849-1941) who was Baronet of Grittleton, MP and Mayor of Chippenham. Dallas Road was proposed in 1923  by the ‘Neeld Trust’  to be built on land owned by them . Houses were built here c1937. 

 

I have been  unable to confirm that Sir Audley Dallas Neeld was either an MP or a Mayor of Chippenham.  I understand that the had a career in the Army and was the Sheriff of Wiltshire for the year 1905.   People are recorded living in Audley Road in the 1911 census; whereas people are not recording as living in Dallas Road until 1939 registers and it would appear that Neeld Crescent was built even later.

If the above publication is correct then the ‘Coat of arms’ on the Inn sign is incorrect as it is the Coat of Arms of the  Audley Family as used prior to 1391 and not the Coat of Arms of the Neeld Family. The Audley Family did have partial ownership of the  Manor of Broughton  Gifford  9 miles south of Chippenham from 1338 to  1532 and the coat of arms on the ‘Inn sign’ is appropriate to the early part of this period, namely 1338 to 1391. (Source A History of the County of Wiltshire Vol 7 pages 51 to 59 by Victoria County History 1953)
Also  George Thicknesse-Touchet (1758 – 1818); the 19th Lord Audley , died at  Sandridge Lodge, near Melksham  and is buried at Melksham. His Coat of Arms was the ‘Audley coat of arms’ quartered with the ‘Touchet Coat of Arms’. Melksham is 8 miles south of Chippenham .

       

dlu20221022

Audley Places in County Down Northern Ireland

In County Down Northern Ireland is the following place associated with the Audley surname:

  • Audley's Castle, Audleystown, County Down
  • Audleystown Cairn, County Down.
  Audley's Castle, Audleystown, County Down
  Audleycastle1   Audleycastle2
 

Information about Audley's Castle:

     Audleystown Cairn, County Down
  Audleystowncairn2   Audleystowncairn3
  I wonder whether an Audley ancestor was buried here!!    
  Audleystowncairn1
       

dlu20200412

Audley Places in Surrey

 In Surrey there is the following place associated with the Audley surname;

        • Commerative Brass to {Z38} John Touchet Lord Audley in St James Church, Shere
  St James Church, Shere
  surry2
  St James Church Shere
  surry1   surry3
 

The commerative Brass to {Z38} John Touchet; Lord Audley

The History of St James Church Shere states: 'A second brass in the chancel floor commemorates Lord Audley, who died in 1490 (some documents state that he died in 1491). Granted the Manor of Shere in 1466, he became Lord Treasurer in 1484, and three years later, he passed the manor to Sir Reginald Bray, a prominent court figure.

  surry4   
 

   The individuals name in the boarder around the brass

County Churches - Surrey by J. E. Morris B.A. published in 1910 indicates that the brass originally formed part of a table-tomb that originally stood in the chapel and was 'wickedly stolen' with only a small section of the border remaining. It would appear the brass was reinstated dueing the 1911 refurbishments of the church.

 

 

On this website there are three brasses commemorating various members of the Audley Family. The following links will take you to the other brasses;

dlu20200412

Our Research of Audley

Menu

Contact Us

We are always here to help, after all we know how hard to track down and verify information. If you have any information relevant to the Audley family, that you are prepared to share with us please us. Without the help of people and help us increase our knowledge.

Click here to contact us...

Need help?

Over the years we have learnt a lot, about the Audley family, we check all our data to make sure it is correct. However some errors are bound to have occurred, if you do spot an error please contact us so that we can improve this website.

Want to know what we've been up to?

Keep in touch with what we have been up to via our recent updates page on which we try to keep you up to date with new information on the site and new research we are currently undertaking.

View our recent updated ...